Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Electric Cowbanue

Today we purchased our first foreign car, literally. During the test drive, the car kept warning me in Japanese (via its GPS) that I was driving the wrong direction to Hokkaido.

After being sticker shocked by Hondas in New Zealand (a new Honda Accord runs about $60,000, and a 5 year old, used Honda minivan is a whopping $27,000), we went back to our first automotive love, the Subaru.

Our first Subaru was a 2005 Outback, which we named Wallula (after the Wallula Gap in Washington).

Ever since growing up in the age of Knight Rider and The Dukes of Hazard, my family has always named our cars: Goldie, The Rabbit, Rocky (a bitchin' TransAm Firebird that my mom raced truckers with in Texas...that's another story), etc.

However, Wordy and her family really never named their cars. This was shocking to me. Truly shocking. Even when naming things, I was surprised by some of the names Wordy and her family came up with...Brown Baby, Orange Baby, D, M, J, Bad Bear, you get the idea.

Over the last 13 years that Wordy and I have been together, I can say without a doubt that one of the things I have brought to our relationship are names that do not suck.

I can't claim many things, but this is my flag and I am waving it.

-Rocky and Wordy Flashback -

Along time ago in a United States far, far away, this song came on the radio. (Be sure to click the link.)

You can imagine my surprise when Wordy started belting out...

"We're gonna rock down to Electric Cowbanue and then we drink papaya."

That's right Electric Cowbanue...

Yes, I admit I have sung songs not using the right or even accepted words, but Electric Cowbanue and drinking papaya...was pure genius. I loved it!

So with that long winded introduction, let me introduce our new (but used) Japanese-speaking 2005 Subaru Forester, The Electric Cowbanue.

6 comments:

  1. Hilarious. So Rocky understands Japanese enough to know where the GPS was directing him? What a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel a need to defend ourselves but all I can do is laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brown Baby and Orange Baby were very descriptive names I'll have you know! But then you have never seen Brown Baby, because you will send her to the doll asylum in NY and she will never come back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If by doll asylum you mean luxury spa and exorcism center, then yes, I would gladly foot the bill for Brown Baby to get all dolled up.

    I groaned when I wrote this too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you have never seen Brown Baby, how would you even know if she needed to go? You were just trying to con Wordy into sending Curly away. She knew, with 100% certainty, I would never consent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Although apparently never named, Wordy's family once drove a most awesome goldenrod and white (maxi) van which I loved. It was big and very cool and I imagined carried the family on fantastic camping adventures which involved horseback riding and fresh scones miraculously baked on a campfire.

    ReplyDelete