Monday, November 12, 2012

It Takes a Village

For the last 9 days I have been solo-parenting as Rocky is away for work. It's been hard. Really hard. And for the first time since moving here I felt every single one of the miles stretching between me and the support system my family provides. But into the void left by far-distant parents and siblings, a grand party of friends stepped in. They took The Squidd to school and picked him up. They invited us over for dinner. They came by to play with The Squidd and hold The Minnow. They hosted slumber parties and dropped food off.

It's said that it takes a village to raise a child, and these friends have shown themselves to be true villagers living alongside our young family. So while I still do miss the proximity of my blood relations, it was such a gift to realize how terrific our little community of friends is and to feel so well looked after. I am ever so grateful to them for helping me make it through these long days with my sanity and good spirits mostly intact.

Tomorrow Rocky returns. Hallelujah!

1 comment:

  1. Your NZ friends are defitely the best and we, the distant family, thank them as well. We've had the pleasure of meeting some of them and immediately felt their welcome and warm friendship. You and Rocky are fortunate to have a supportive, generous circle of friends, your Kiwi family.

    Welcome home Rocky!

    ReplyDelete