Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Experiment Milo

Over the next two weeks, I will be subjecting myself to what appears to be a very popular drink: Milo.

The advertising around the country for Milo is relentless. Drink Milo! Milo and cricket! Milo is extreme!

So I thought I would buy in. All the Kiwis I have met so far ARE taller than me and they DO excel at extreme activities. Perhaps Milo is their secret.

For all intents and purposes, Milo looks like chocolate milk, except for the fact that it's derived from malted barley. Being from the US, I automatically equate chocolate and malt to Whoppers which are scrumptious, totally ignoring the fact that its derived from barley...malted barley...which is analogous in flavor and texture to kitty litter.

Who the heck came up with this drink and how was he/she allowed to get away with it?!

After my first sip, the challenge was on as I couldn't dump out the whole container. That would be wasteful.

Several years ago I couldn't stand scotch, but I worked hard and slowly gained a taste for it. Milo is my new scotch. If I can gain an appreciation for Milo, perhaps I can move on to durian, natto, and calves brains.

6 comments:

  1. Never heard of the stuff. I'm fascinated after reading in wikipedia how popular it is outside the US and the variety of things people do to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried mixing Milo with my instant coffee this morning thinking that the coffee should enhance my Milo experience.

    Imagine a hot day in the gym. Got it? Now imagine that one really sweaty person who is always working out too vigorously on the treadmill. Still with me? Now take that sweaty person's shorts and ring it out into a coffee mug.

    This was my Milo experience...on the plus side it did wake me up in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Putting Milo in the same league as natto..that says a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. I just caught up on all the posts. I have been up to my eyeballs in paint the past few weeks and thanks to all the goodies you have left us, I have been able to keep my trips to the paint store to a relative few. I am curious about something. How nasty of a drink does it have to be for Rocky to refuse it? I think the trick is to get plastered first on something else then try the Milo. Sort of what you do with a bad tequila (which I know you can do). Good luck and keep on posting. I am now up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately TBone, we have no tequila or any booze to 'put me in the mood' for my Milo experience. That being said, I have a strange suspicion that Milo is the cryptonite of alcohol...capable of rendering it useless and unfun.

    From my intense scientific training and observations, I hypothesize that if Mr. Money Bags (and we all know who this is...) drank Milo he might end up transforming into something akin to Fabio due to his body finally being able to rehydrate after years of appletinis. Just a hypothesis, but just imagine...

    Mr. Money Bags with his catch phrase of "Fantastic" (insert eye rolling here) changing to "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter."

    Mr. Money Bags don't drink the Milo! It's not worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't feel the need to like Milo. Nasty. It sounds a bit like Marmite, which is like a yeasty bowel movement.

    ReplyDelete