Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Milo versus Vegemite

My dearest Milo,

Over the past couple of weeks, I have tried desperately to enjoy, like, even just tolerate you. The casual sipping. The mixing and stirring. Your heat on my cold hands. However, my malty Milo, we need to break up. I would like to say that it's me not you, but who am I kidding...you taste like a**...it's definitely you.


In other news, we have made a breakthrough in Kraft taste technology. Vegemite is an Australian food product made by the Kraft mega-conglomerate. It's salty, yeasty and tastes like a cross between your average cold/flu and chicken noodle soup (imagine that in your mouth if you can). It's also one of the few Australian products that Kiwis actually endorse. While enjoying one of my other fine Kraft products (Philadelphia Cream Cheese...let's give a what! what! for Philly) on some toast, I decided to marble in a little Vegemite. The results were outstanding! Overall, the experience was a fiesta in my mouth and everyone was getting along. If you decide to try this combination out, remember not to use too much Vegetite or your mouth fiesta might get a little ugly.

Bon appetit!

3 comments:

  1. Is it yeasty in the way of nutritional yeast? I have heard that it might be, which I can see having endless potential. Toast would just be the tip of the iceberg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In their defense, these products are really not all that bad. Anyone who's grown up on Ovaltine should have an idea what Milo tastes like. I even used to have a Captain Ovaltine insignia as evidence of my loyalty. Vegemite, while it looks to me like concentrated fish fertilizer, will be appreciated by anyone who likes yeasty flavors. I, for one, was won over to yeasty popcorn. Think of Vegemite as umami on steroids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my defense, Zoomerang is a fan of nato.

    For those of you who have never had nato, go to your local Japanese grocery store and try some for yourself. Write back and please share your experience. I would looooove to hear all about it.

    Also note, my taste buds are delicate like a flower.

    ReplyDelete